We, human beings, invent many high-tech products, such as super computers. However, we know little about how the brain works. Discovering how the brain functions is one of the most fascinating challenges in science. In our lab, we use animal models to investigate how genes regulate anxiety, stress, learning memory, exercise, brain injury, and ageing. We are particularly interested in how to use gene therapy to improve brain health and function.
Our current research focuses on-
1. What is the function of adult neurogenesis in the hippocampus?
2. How does exercise benefit out brain and by what molecular mechanisms?
3. How can we make the ageing brain younger? What are the candidate factors?
4. How can we repair brain damage? What are the candidate genes?
Selected Publications: (*corresponding author)
- Eu WZ, Chen YJ, Chen WT, Wu KU, Tsai CY, Cheng SJ, Carter R, Huang GJ*. The effect of nerve growth factor on supporting spatial memory depends upon hippocampal cholinergic innervations. Translational Psychiatry (2021, Accepted)
- Chang S, Bok P, Tsai, CY, Sun CP, Liu H, Deussing JM, Huang GJ*. NPTX2 is a key component in the regulation of anxiety. Neuropsychopharmacology 2018 May 11
- Chang S, Bok P, Sun CP, Edwards A, Huang GJ*. Neuropsin inactivation has protective effects against depressive-like behaviours and memory impairment induced by chronic stress. PLoS Genetics 2016 Oct 4; 12(10): e1006356
- Tsai CY, Tsai CY, Arnold S, Huang GJ*. Ablation of hippocampal neurogenesis in mice impairs the response to stress during the dark cycle. Nature Communications 2015 Sep 29;6:8373. doi: 10.1038/ncomms9373.
- Cai N, et al., Molecular signatures of major depression. Current Biology 2015 May 4;25(9):1146-56. (co-senior author)
- Huang GJ, Smith AL, Gray DH, Cosgrove C, Singer BH, Edwards A, Sims S, Parent JM, Johnsen A,Mott R, Mathis D, Klenerman P, Benoist C, Flint J. A genetic and functional relationship between T-cells and cellular proliferation in the adult hippocampus. PLoS Biology 2010 Dec 14; 8(12):e1000561
- Huang GJ, Shifman S, Johannesson M, Yalcin B, Valdar W, Taylor J, Mott R, Flint J. High resolution mapping of expression QTLs in heterogeneous stock mice in multiple tissues. Genome Research 2009 Jun; 19(6):1133-40
- Arnold S, Huang GJ (equal contribution), Cheung A, Era T, Nishikawa SI, Bikoff E, Molnar E, Robertson E, Groszer M. The T-box transcription factor Tbr2/Eomes regulates neurogenesis in the cortical subventricular zone. Genes & Development 2008 Sep 15; 22(18):2479-84
- Huang GJ*, Bannerman D, Flint J. Chronic fluoxetine treatment alters behaviour, but not adult hippocampal neurogenesis, in BALB/cJ mice. Molecular Psychiatry 2008 Feb; 13, 119-121.
- Huang GJ, Herbert J. Stimulation of neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat by fluoxetine requires rhythmic change in corticosterone. Biological Psychiatry 2006 Apr 1; 59(7):619-24
- Huang GJ, Herbert J. Serotonin modulates the suppressive effects of corticosterone on proliferating progenitor cells in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus in the adult rat. Neuropsychopharmacology 2005 Feb 30:231-241