Mitotic Spindle Checkpoint, Chromosome Segregation and Cell Cycle Regulation
The mitotic spindle checkpoint prevents chromosome loss. I want to understand how this checkpoint regulates chromosome segregation during eukaryotic cell division, primarily by studying how the spindle checkpoint inhibits the cell cycle regulator the Anaphase-Promoting Complex (APC). Yeast genetics, cell biology, and biochemistry in combination are powerful tools for exploring the molecular roles of protein complexes. In the lab, I use my training in these fields to develop biochemical, cell biological and genetic approaches to ask how the mitotic spindle checkpoint functions to inhibit APC.
- Wu SY, Kuan VJ, Tzeng YW, Schuyler SC, Juang YL. (2016) The anaphase-promoting complex works together with the SCF complex for proteolysis of the S-phase cyclin Clb6 during the transition from G1 to S phase. Fungal Genet Biol. 2016 Mar 16;91:6-19.
- Wu CC1, Wu HJ, Wang CH, Lin CH, Hsu SC, Chen YR, Hsiao M, Schuyler SC, Lu FL, Ma N, Lu J. (2015) Akt suppresses DLK for maintaining self-renewal of mouse embryonic stem cells. Cell Cycle. 2015 Apr 15;14(8):1207-17.
- Gopinath RK, You ST, Chien KY, Swamy KBS, Yu JS, Schuyler SC and Leu JY. (2014) The Hsp90-dependent proteome is conserved and enriched for hub proteins with high levels of protein-protein connectivity. Genome Biology and Evolution. Oct 13;6(10):2851-65.
- Hsuan L, Ma C-P, Chen Y-T,Schuyler SC, Chang K-P and Tan BC. (2014) Functional Impact of RNA Editing and ADARs on Regulation of Gene Expression: Perspectives from Deep Sequencing Studies. Cell & Bioscience. Aug 19;4:44.
- Liu YC, Kao YT, Huang WK, Lin KY, Wu SC, Hsu SC, Schuyler SC, Li LY, Leigh Lu F, Lu J. (2014) CCL5/RANTES is important for inducing osteogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells and is regulated by dexamethasone. Biosci Trends. Jun;8(3):138-43.
- Wang CH, Ma N, Lin YT, Wu CC, Wu HJ, Yu CC, Hsiao M, Lu FL, Schuyler SC, Lu J. (2013) Array-based high-throughput screening in mouse embryonic stem cells with shRNAs. Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol. Sep 20;26:Unit 5C.3.
- Huang H-N, Chen S-Y, Hwang S-M, Su M-W, Mai W, Wang H-W, Cheng W-C, Schuyler SC, Ma N, Lu FL, Lu J. (2013) miR-200c and GATA binding protein 4 regulate human embryonic stem cell renewal and differentiation. Stem Cell Res. Dec 3;12(2):338-353.
- Lu FL, Yu C-C, Chiu H-H, Liu HE, Chen S-Y, Lin S, Goh T-Y, Hsu H-C, Chien C-H, Wu H-C, Chen M-S, Schuyler SC, Hsieh W-S, Wu M-H, Lu J. (2013) Sonic hedgehog antagonists induce cell death in acute myeloid leukemia cells in the presence of lipopolysaccharides, tumor necrosis factor-α, or interferons. Invest. New Drug. Aug 31(4):823-32.
- Schuyler SC, Wu Y-F, Kuan VJ-W. (2012) The Mad1-Mad2 balancing act - a damaged spindle checkpoint in chromosome instability and cancer. J Cell Sci. Sep 15;125(Pt 18):4197-4206.
- Tzeng Y-W, Huang JN, Schuyler SC, Wu C-H, Juang Y-L. (2011) Functions of the mitotic B-type cyclins CLB1, CLB2, and CLB3 at mitotic exit antagonized by the CDC14 phosphatase. Fungal Genet Biol. Oct;48(10):966-78.
- Barnhart EL, Dorer RK, Murray AW, Schuyler SC*. (2011) Reduced Mad2 expression keeps relaxed kinetochores from arresting budding yeast in mitosis. Mol Biol Cell, Jul;22(14):2448-2457.
- Wu Y-P, Chang C-M, Hung C-Y, Tsai M-C, Schuyler SC, Wang RY-L*. (2011) Japanese encephalitis virus co-opts the ER-stress response protein GRP78 for viral infectivity. Virol J. 8:128. Erratum in: Virol J. 8:338.